Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Puff Flower Motif Pattern - How to Read Crochet Charts

 
 
 
 
We haven't had a crochet chart reading for a while now, so I thought it is high time we make one. On pinterest I found an easy breezy chart for a cute crochet flower motif I knew was worth the try and right I was because it turned out beautifully.
 
Let's make some.
For these two I used spot yarn and my 1.9 mm hook. You can make it monochromatic - I chose summery colors.
 
Pattern: The image of the chart is horrible I know, but enlarging it messes it up profusely to the point of blurring, so size small it goes here.
 
Ch 6 and join to make a ring.
Rnd 1: (color 1) ch 4 (counts as 1 dc + 1 ch), dc1, ch1 until you make 9 rods (dcs) total. Sl st to end the rnd.
Rnd 2: ch 6, make a 2dc puff st in the 4th st, dc 1 over the dc of the rnd below. Repeat this until you make 9 such puffs. Sl st to end the rnd.
Note: I changed the pattern slightly - the chart shows making a puff in the 3rd st which is a No, No to me - it distorts the puff , so when you make the puffs, make sure you do it in the 4th st.
Rnd 3: (insert color 2) ch 8 (counts as 1 dc+ 5 chains), go over the puff below and dc1 over the dc rod below. Ch 5, dc1 around (9 times), and sl st in the initial chain to end rnd.
Rnd 4: (insert color 3) ch6, make a 2dc puff  in the 4th st, dc 1 on the chain space, ch4 and make a 2dc puff in the 4th st, dc1 over the dc rod below. Repeat this around.  Sl st to end the rnd. There should be 18 puffs in the last round.
 
 

 
 I am going to use these as applique to refresh an old pillow, but I might think of something more original to use them for like a scarf or maybe (a weak maybe) a beach cover up. But that's too much work and I have little time, so another time perhaps?
What do you think?
Can they pass for coasters as well?


 
 

8 comments:

Atelier Marie-Lucienne said...

Dear Maya, these flowers would look lovely on straw bags too. Especially since you've used such bright colours!
Have a lovely day,
Marjan

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Marjan!That is a great idea! Hope your trip to Scotland is excellent so far.

Atelier Marie-Lucienne said...

Sadly enough we're back home since Monday-afternoon 4 p.m. :-( Was a most lovely holiday though and I'm looking forewards to returning to Scotland (maybe next year)...

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Reading crochet charts is complicated and thanks for showing how to read and make these flower motifs.

Maya Kuzman said...

Welcome home again. I already read your post and left you a comment :)

Maya Kuzman said...

You are welcome Julie!

Unknown said...

It really is very well done and of great quality. The explanation is very good. You are to be congratulated. Those pieces are beautiful. I also have a crochet sales website, who can visit, I will be very happy. The site is this: tapete de barbante quadrado

Anonymous said...

Nice touch of summer, this flower! Thank's for the explanation!