Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Shabby Chic Photo Album Idea


 
 
 
 
I have found this old photo album while clearing my hub's gran's house. Although with no appealing façade I couldn't just get rid of it. It was in mint condition and only the first two pages showed slits cut for picture insertion but it was empty and I doubt his gran kept pictures inside.  Normally I kept it for one of  my "whatever I might dream of" projects.  
 
This is what it looked like.
 
Not very impressive, eh?
 
What I did is cut that ribbon that held everything together and using an old linen piece I kind of upholstered it.
 
 
Next, using lace (that his gran had on all her linen as border - I was the lucky recipient of it!) I made a sleeve for it, but did not sew it all around. Instead I sewed snap fasteners so that when it gets dirty, I could take it out and easily wash it away.
 
On the sleeve I sewed a flounce topped with lace and ribbon and added sateen rosettes. To prevent it to be to kitschy - kitschy I just added a card, although skeleton keys, pearl buttons and tulle pom-poms were all part of the game.
 
 
I am going to put mostly pictures of our (great)grandparents inside. With that said, this is going to be one treasured photo album.
 




 

14 comments:

Atelier Marie-Lucienne said...

What a lovely way to save the album. We do tend to throw things away, just because it's not lovely, but we seldom (well - not WE in particular) think about turning it into something beautiful. It can be so simple and the outcome is wonderful!

Alhana said...

Very beautiful! I loved your idea about making the cover removable so you can wash it whenever it's needed. Now the photo album is pretty inside and outside. :-)

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you. I love giving nee life to old things. Aside from treasuring memories, I am sure this will also be a useful prop for other photoshoots, so this project is a double score.

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Alhana. If I grow wesry of it looks, I can remove the sleeve/case and make a different one. Practical, no?

Cream Linen said...

Lovely idea Maya. It's so nice to keep photos of all these people who
form your past , even if you may not have met them or rememeber them very well. You know, I also like to give new life to things that are old and apparently useless , this transformation really thrills me!!!
Tina x

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Tina. I grew up with stories about my predecedors told by my grandmas and I will alwsys cherish those.They give essence and structure to the images of my kin before me. As for relivening things- I know we are on the same page :)

Kim said...

You have breathed new and beautiful life into your husband's grandmother's album, Maya. Love all the sweet and pretty additions; everything is just perfect. Love the vintage photos reminiscing another era. How cool is that baby buggy. It looks like the Rolls Royce of perambulators. This gorgeous album will be looked upon many times filled with so many beautiful familial memories from the heart. A treasured keepsake indeed.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea! This photo album will be beautiful inside and outside!
Love the cover very much, something to put on the cupboard to watch it everyday :-)

Maya Kuzman said...

Isn't the buggy awesome! I would have loved one such for when my kids were babies. I have an old soul. I am always drawn to old (vintage) things, books, films...

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Sigrid! I already have an assigned spot on the shelf where it wil fit just perfectly.

Divya N said...

The lace cover makes the album beautiful. Because its removable you can maybe Tea dye it in the future for an even more softer vintage feel

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Hi Maya, oh wow you did the perfect and pretty makeover of the album! I love the pretty lace and the flowers on it too. :0)

Maya Kuzman said...

I already have an ecru one so I don't need to tea die it ;)

Maya Kuzman said...

Thank you Julie- that is so sweet of you. I cannot resist using lace in my projects :)